We all have that one dessert that we just can’t live without…and sweet potato pie just happens to be mine! So, when I asked my husband to make this dessert, I’m glad he didn’t oppose. He even made two. Scoreeee! My husband is a beast in the kitchen. I’m so grateful that he can cook and actually loves it. Not to mention everything he cooks is delicious. The way he takes dishes and makes them his own is a gift. I definitely hit the jackpot with marrying a man that can cook!
Anyways, back to the sweet potato pie. (Sorry got a little sidetracked) On Sundays, we discuss what we are going to cook for the week and put our plan into action. This Sunday, we took it back to our southern roots. We decided on a menu that would take us back to Alabama where we are sitting around the dinner table with our family. And, nothing says southern comfort food like fried chicken, homemade macaroni and cheese, collard greens with smoked turkey wings, cornbread and of course the sweet potato pie. It’s like having a pre-Thanksgiving meal. My mouth is watering just writing it! However, you can have a chance to taste Chris’ delicious sweet potato pie for yourself because I am sharing the recipe below. I may be a little biased, but I promise you this pie is the best…evvveerrrr!
- Frozen pie crust
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp Vanilla extract
- 2 1/2-3 cups of White Sugar
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 stick of Butter
- 2 cups Milk
- 2 eggs
- 4 oz cream cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Fill a medium saucepan with water; place over high heat and bring to a boil. Add sweet potatoes and cover. Steam until potatoes are easily pierced with a fork. Let sweet potatoes cool slightly before removing skins by rubbing potatoes with a paper towel.
- Cream butter, cream cheese and sugar together. Add eggs and stir. Add sweet potatoes and mix well. Stir in the milk, vanilla extract, nutmeg, making sure all ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- Pour into the pie shell and bake 40 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Dust top with freshly grated nutmeg if desired. Top with cool whip (optional) and enjoy!
If you decide to try this delicious recipe, feel free to share with me by tagging @keepinupwithkd on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest or Twitter.
Until next time,